On this page you will find a list of prompts, sentence starters and inspirations to help you get writing. Whether it be for a journal, a poem, a short story, an Instagram bio. You’ve got the pen to the paper but you just don’t know where to start. Start here, and just write!
As well as the ones I have added please feel free to send in your own prompts to add to the list. If there is anything you want me to write send in your requests and I will post them on here.
I love reading peoples work. If you find yourself writing one of these prompts and want to share it to the world then send it to email@example.com for a chance of it being featured on this blog!
Happy writing! x
- Your favourite colour.
- Your favourite song.
- Write about your dreams. Or what you think your friends dreams look like.
- Lists of likes and dislikes.
- 10 top goals. Whether they are for the year, the week, the rest of your life.
- Vent! Your stresses, your worries, your fears. Make the page scream.
- Favourite quotes; books, movies, poetry, people
- Stream of consciousness. What are you thinking about right now?
- Find something from outside, flowers, leaves, grass. Press it into the page.
- A list of books you want to read, versus the ones you have read.
- Your favourite smell.
- What things make you sad?
- What things make you happy?
- Songs that you couldn’t live without.
- What animal would you be?
- Your worst nightmare.
- Your dream come true.
- “I’m going through a mid-life crisis. What shall I buy?”
- There was a fox in the kitchen.
- “Damn it, we’re all out of mustard.”
- “I really shouldn’t have eaten that cheese.”
- The earth crumbled beneath her feet.
- I was dressed in a completely inappropriate shade of pink.
- “There’s something familiar about you.”
- He couldn’t help himself. He just kept doing it over and over again.
- The only thing left was a pair of teal coloured flip flops.
- “What the hell does boujee mean?”
- “Nothing fits me!”
- The snow fell heavy in front of you, obstructing your view.
- The trophy sparkled in my hands.
- Spend the day observing people. Write a backstory for the people you see.
- What did your parents life look like before you were born?
- You’re 5 years old and have lost your family.
- You’re turning 100. How do you celebrate?
- The sketchy family next door.
- You are a character in your favourite book. How does the story change?
- Write about the person that makes you ‘see red’.
- Your town is in the eye of a storm. What is happening?
- Write about the day you’ve had, but in a dramatic and magical way.
- What is your pet thinking?
- Your favourite singer/actor/person greets you by your first name. What do you say to them?
- Life as an inanimate object.